AND THE CAMM STUDIO OF SMETHWICK
In the nineteenth century the Arts and Crafts Movement led a renaissance in stained glass production.
In the West Midlands, the Camm family business flourished and acquired global status. The firm’s windows are widely remembered because of the work of their creative designer, Florence Camm.
The T W Camm Studio, which stood in High Street, Smethwick, is particularly noteworthy for the quality of its windows, which were manufactured for domestic and ecclesiastical clients across the world. The business was founded in 1888 by Thomas William Camm (1839-1912), who trained at Chance Brothers in Smethwick.
On leaving the firm he set up his own business and the Studio soon gained an international recognition for the quality of its work. When Thomas Camm died in 1912, the business was continued by his daughter Florence (1874-1960) and sons Walter (1881-1967) and Robert (1878-1954).Download the Full Article (PDF)